Jair Bolsonaro, who recently resigned from the post of Brazilian president, is being treated in hospital.
Brazilian newspaper O Globo learned about the former head of state’s illness. Bolsonaro was reportedly hospitalized in Orlando, Florida with “abdominal pain”.
Sunday Violent protests erupted in the Brazilian capital. Bolsonaro’s supporters also stormed Congress, the presidential palace and the Supreme Court building.
The former president condemned the move on Twitter on Monday and distanced himself from the protesters.
– Manifestas pacificas, na forma da le, phasem parte da democracy. However, similar to what was practiced by the Left in 2013 and 2017, the occupation of public buildings took place today and I will rule.
– Jair M. Bolsonaro 2️⃣2️⃣ (@jairbolsonaro) January 9, 2023
1,500 people were detained and the damage was immense
The BBC According to his reports, at least 1,500 people have been detained by Brazilian authorities since Sunday’s riots.
As a result of the events, there was a significant drop in the Brazilian stock market. And meanwhile And that changed Besieged government buildings were also badly damaged.
Demonstrators vandalized several works of art and historical monuments.
- The desk of former Brazilian President Jucelino Kubitschek (1955-1960) was used as cover by protesters. Experts are still investigating the condition of the table.
- The painting by Emiliano di Cavalcanti, worth about $1.5 million, was torn in seven places.
- They also damaged a 17th century clock made by a French watchmaker in the 14th century. He created Balthasar Martin, supported by Louis (which had previously been gifted by John VI, ruler of Portugal and Brazil).